Saturday, February 28, 2009

body issues again. i thought we were done with this.

i went to yoga the other night for the first time since getting pregnant. okay, let's be honest, for the first time a long time. too long, because i really do enjoy it. i always leave feeling refreshed and calm and centered. being aware of my breathing and my body and how it occupies space always seems to reset my brain.

but this! i thought i had gotten used to this body finally. i'm really getting to love my pregnant body, even as i'm a bit fuller than i used to be in places other than my belly and certainly not as agile as i was before. i mean, it takes some effort to put socks on in the mornings. and i really love my tummy. i thought i had figured out this new body of mine, how to move with it and to move myself around it, how to handle this new bulk that i'm hefting around.

and this was not "real" yoga to me - mostly just stretching, none of the usual poses that i'm used to. easy yoga for the pregnant ladies. and yet when i lifted my arms over my head and brought them back down again - where did these boobs come from that are completely in the way? my body never used to behave like this. i'm used to making the effort to put on socks or shave my legs, but sitting indian-style with this belly? how did that become difficult? and then there's the kiddo squirming around, pushing up against my insides, and can't she just sit still for an hour so i can get something out of this class? it was a shame too, because of all the body wierdness that i was bumping up against, i couldn't relax and slow myself down enough to enjoy being there. better luck next week, i suppose.

we are at: 29 weeks 5 days.

No comments: