Tuesday, December 2, 2008

stuck again

last night i went in to the lab to get more blood drawn. i should point out here that i detest needles and can't even look at a syringe without cringing. this time it was for my x-afp test, which tests for four proteins (including alpha-fetoprotein) produced by the baby and carried in mom's bloodstream. abnormal levels of these proteins can indicate chromosomal defects such as down syndrome and trisomy 18 as well as non-hereditary defects like neural tube defects. we are not as concerned about genetic defects because both brian and i have pretty good genes, but non-hereditary - random - defects do concern me, especially since a friend recently lost her baby to anencephaly and i saw how heartbreaking that was and continues to be for her and her husband.

a second vial was also drawn for a chromosome test on me. again, brian and i are not terribly concerned, but we figure the more information we have at our fingertips, the better. the test is going to look for chromosome translocation in me and could be a remote possibility (and an even more remote chance of a birth defect) because of my mother's history of miscarriage (she had four before me); my father's direct, severe, and repeated exposure to agent orange during his tour in vietnam in 1968-69; and his brother's (my uncle's) mental retardation. if there is a translocation, likely it is balanced since i have no problems, but it could cause problems for a baby. again, the likelihood of a problem is minute, but i figured it's no more hassle for the lab to draw an extra vial and run an extra test and we get more information this way. also, it's not something we would need to do with subsequent babies, since it's not like my chromosomes are going to change.

this whole pregnancy has certainly been a learning experience for me. we'll have the results from the tests back in about 2-3 weeks.

we are at: 17 weeks 1 day.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am with you. I HATE getting my blood drawn. I have veins nurses describe as "rolly", meaning they move when you try to puncture them. also meaning they usually try 2-3 times before they actually get it. Last time I had a blood draw I got really worked up and started crying and it was absolutely humiliating.

The diabetes test you'll take later is the worst though. They make you drink this disgusting orange soda drink and sit in a lobby for FOREVER.

eireann said...

last time i went to get blood drawn, the nurse said, OOOOH! you have good veins! my first thought was, GREAT, that ought to mean you don't have to poke me more than once.

then i thought, how weird is that, that you think that when you see someone's arm?