Monday, December 14, 2009

postponed

here's my dirty little secret: i am struggling with postpartum depression.

i have suspected for a while that this was the root of a lot of issues in my life lately, and last night it was confirmed. i had a major meltdown - not my first, but the worst. i ended up sobbing in front of the bathroom sink with the counter doors open - i had cleaned out the sink the other day and found all of brian's painkillers leftover from his slipped disk. i thought i had put them under the sink but realized later that they went into the hall closet with the other leftover meds. (random aside: what do you do with all that stuff anyways, since you're not supposed to throw it in the trash or flush them? sell them on the street?) hannah was screaming and i thought about people who smother their babies with pillows. i thought, if i had to chose between her and brian right then, i would chose brian in a heartbeat. i thought, i am afraid of myself. then i left hannah with brian, got in my car, and drove to the emergency room where they confirmed that yes indeed it does sound like we are dealing with postpartum depression.

i had an intake appointment with a therapist this morning who confirmed that yes indeed, postpartum depression. if we can swing the $90 co-pays, i am to be enrolled in an intensive outpatient program. either way, it is likely that i will be prescribed meds. brian is not keen on meds especially since i am still breastfeeding, and both the psychologist at the hospital last night and the intake psychologist this morning were very keen on weaning. i understand everyone's cocnerns, but the research seems to indicate that it's safe to breastfeeding while on antidepressants (with a few specific exceptions). in this aspect i am not getting a lot of support which is extremely frustrating. brian is against meds in general, but that obviously isn't working since everything is getting worse. breastfeeding is important to me and helps me bond with hannah - i feel like i am doing something good for her when she nurses. i don't want to give that up and i don't think i should have to. lots of women are on antidepressants while they are pregnant even. [exhibit a: heather armstrong.] there are so many different antidepressants out there - surely we can come up with one and tailor the dosage low enough that i can continue to breastfeed.

i was concerned about this while i was pregnant. looking back, i have probably been mildly depressed for years, and being pregnant and then having a baby likely exacerbated everything. this is one time where i wish i wasn't right.

i want to enjoy my baby. i love her, i really do. i know i wouldn't ever hurt her. it's just that i feel so removed from her and some days, i really don't want her. that makes me feel so sad (and so guilty, and so angry), especially because she is so very wonderful and because i'm lucky enough to get to stay home with her that i should at least be enjoying it. i want to enjoy my husband, and my life. brian often points out how i am living my dream, and he's right - i am married to a wonderful man, i have a beautiful happy healthy baby, we live in a lovely house, i am a stay-at-home mom for my daughter, and i am starting my own business. i have everything that i've always wanted, and now i want to enjoy it.

edited: i'm not looking for sympathy or pity or anything like that. that's not why i posted this. i posted this because on a daily basis it is overwhelming to even try to comprehend what needs to be done just to survive. i dread waking up in the morning because the entire day stretches out in front of me and it just seems endless. i'm exhausted. that's all.

6 comments:

Lorena Knapp said...

Thank you for your courage to be honest.

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

Props to you for having the courage to go to the doctor to confirm your suspisions and to share this on your blog.

I can only imagine that these feelings are hard to deal with and make you feel very alone. Hopefully, by sharing this, other women will share their similar situations...and that will give you some additional support to get through this.

My situation is completely different, but both are difficult nonetheless, and I really did find hope from others who have survived similar circumstances.

And if you can swing the co-pays -- go for it. I'm a huge advocate of therapy. No one can make you come to an understanding with your emotions like a therapist.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

First of all, I am sending all sorts of warm fuzzy wishes and big squishy hugs. Having seen a good friend of mine struggle with postpartum depression, I know that it is not only difficult to deal with, but immensely difficult to admit to yourself (or others) that you are dealing with it. And that you have, well, that says something about the sort of person you are. Not everybody makes an effort. You're doing great.

Second, if you need support on the medication front, I am absolutely 100% willing to be that support. One of the women in my family had the sort of postpartum depression wherein her husband spent the first year of their baby's life constantly checking in and coming home early because he was afraid - genuinely afraid - that one day he'd come home to a dead baby. As a result, I did the antidepressant research while I was pregnant and informed Donald that under no circumstances was he the decision maker. If my mental health and my enjoyment of my child, my marriage, MY LIFE, depended on it, I would guzzle antidepressants in a heartbeat.

I'm generally very very anti-medication, but if anti-depressants help you heal, if they help you function better and love your life more, then I say GO FOR IT. And I also say that unless you are on dangerously high amounts of certain meds, go on and breastfeed Hannah. She needs it as much as you do.

Thirdly, the first woman I mentioned told me once that part of her trouble getting out of the cycle of postpartum depression was that she felt so guilty. She felt like every time she was feeling better, she'd think about all the times her baby could have benefited from her feeling like that more, and then she'd feel guilty for all the times she doubted if she loved her or wanted to pick her husband over her baby, etc. So if that thought ever occurs to you, and I mean EVER, then know this: I am a complete stranger and I know that you are a wonderful, giving, loving mother. Hannah deserves the best and the best is you.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com

ROD said...

It does get better, speaking as a husband whose wife had anxiety disorder and depression.

Jenna said...

Oh girl I hate that your going through this. I think I also had a mild case a depression shortly after the boys were born, I was super anxious and nervous for weeks, but then it slowly went away for me. I am happy that you are seeking help, you and your whole family will be so much happier for it. Wishing you the best!

Unknown said...

Hi,
I accidentally read came across your blog while reading comments posted on another blog that I follow. And I wanted to tell you that I can totally empathize with your situation, been in your shoes. I have a 10 month old girl and I am also a stay at home/Work from home Mom. Dont have any family living close by to provide support with taking care of my baby, but I do have an extremely supportive husband. I have had similar breakdowns and I want to tell you that it does get better. But you have to be willing to make some changes and put in some effort before taking the meds route. I can tell you what worked for me and hopefully it will help you as well.

First, if you have a close friend living closer to your home and can spare some time: go ahead and spend some time with her along with your baby. Just taking 30mins here and there in a week and spending time with a good friend can lift your spirits.

Second, try local resources: Local libraries have rhyme times and such events for babies and you can connect with other parents as well in your childs age group. Also check out local free events being held at the parks, malls etc

Third: Consider putting the $90 copay money towards taking Hannah to a class like Gymboree Play and Music (http://www.gymboreeclasses.com/index.jsp) they offer a free class and recent parenting magazine is giving $50 off on enrollment on the day of the free class. Its once a week and costs $105/month.

Fourth: Get your husband to help you whenever he can. Whether it be feeding the baby or calming her down when shes crying nonstop, playing with her etc. And you can do run errands on your own, will give you personal time to focus on yourself.

Fifth: Take multivitamins, specially Omega 3's. There is still research going on in this area (http://depression.about.com/cs/babyblue/a/fishpostpartum.htm) but its worth the try. You can get Omega 3's in fish, eggs etc as well.

Last but not least Play music you love in the house while doing chores or spending time with your baby. Or even dance around the house with your lil one while listening to music. Or find a positive acitivity that cheers you up (i am sure you had one bfore you had the baby).
These are some of the things that have helped me cope better and I hope you are willing to give it a shot.
My best wishes and prayers for you and your family and remember this too shall pass :)