Thursday, April 9, 2009

back to the fruit again

at the beginning of pregnancy, all the books and the doctor liken the size of your baby to fruit. your baby is the size of a blueberry! now it's the size of a strawberry, how sweet! your uterus is about the size of a grapefruit now! at some point they stop using the produce department as a metaphor for your child and just start using real measurements: the baby weighs approximately 10 ounces, the baby is approximately 14 inches long, the top of your uterus can be felt approximately 4 inches above your bellybutton. i guess this is because it could be detrimental to an ob/gyn's health to tell someone in an irrational hyperemotional state that they are carrying around a squash or a watermelon and by the way YOU ARE NOT DONE GROWING, NOT BY A LONG SHOT.

i realized last night when my ankles disappeared that i think i am back to the fruit again. i knew my feet would swell, but i didn't expect it to be this bad. i always thought i had kind of nice-looking feet - they're not bony or anything but have nice little curves and hollows on them, kind of like the curves and hollows of a woman's collarbone. (which imho is very sexy.) it's not like i could be a foot model or anything but i don't think i'm scaring small children when i go barefoot. but this! no more curves. no hollows. my ankles are completely gone. my foot has been replaced by a puffy, stiff, tingly THING.

and that thing? is approximately the size of a papaya. one of the large ones, the mexican papayas. i have papayas at the ends of my legs. we've come full circle, folks.

we are at: 35 weeks 3 days.

4 comments:

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

All right, I know you probably are not enjoying that you think your feet are papayas, but I found this post to be hilarious!

Someday when I am 35 weeks preggo, I will be fully prepared for the papayas!

At least they won't be sticking around after Baby Stenz is here!

eireann said...

i'm so glad! because honestly, i am trying to find amusement in all this discomfort. my doctor said, the eighth month is when you feel the worst. and she's right - SO ready to be done with this. so if someone, anyone, can find humor in it - yay!

Jaimey said...

OMG! I fully passed papayas and went straight to the meet department. I had the most swollen feet/toes, SAUSAGES for toes! It was horrible! You could press on them and the dent would STAY!

But luckily it goes away, pretty quickly. :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh I do remember this! :( I just left a comment on Sara's blog about having to wear flip flops to my college graduation, because I was close to nine months pregnant with my first daughter. Just find time to prop them up and stay away from too much salt. Drink lots of water, even though you may have to go to the restroom too many times.