Friday, May 22, 2009

add one more to the list

i'm trying very hard not to feel guilty about having requested more pain meds at this morning's doctor appointment. seems we are making a daily pilgrimage to the clinic for one reason or another these days - brian had an eye appointment, hannah has her weight issues, and me - well, i'm just a mess. as if labor and delivery weren't enough, i now also have a urinary tract infection. joy!

before we left the hospital my doctor wrote me a prescription for norco, which is similar to vicodin but has less acetaminophen. it's working well at controlling the pain from my cesarean, but i was down to the last couple pills, and when i slept through my reminder alarm and woke up in quite a bit of pain i decided that maybe now was not quite the best time to try to wean myself off of it. i'd rather not be taking highly addictive narcotics, but i'd rather more not experience the pain just yet. i've just had major abdominal surgery, thank you very much. i don't understand these women who go through this postpartum recovery basically without pain meds. one of my girlfriends only took vicodin for the first day after all three of her cesareans. another took only ibuprofen afterwards. i admire them for being able to do that because i'm no hero. the twinges and cramps send me crying into brian's arms. so we got more norco.

speaking of cramping, i thought we were done with that. i thought we had 2-3 days of afterpains and then my uterus would be relatively shrunk back to size and no more cramps. turns out i am not necessarily wrong in this, but lucky me, i have something else going on altogether: the day after hannah was born, the doctor came to me in the hospital and asked if i knew that i had uterine fibroids. i said yes, they've been there for a while and my ob can feel them, she just keeps an eye on them. they're small. he said, um, not exactly. apparently when he opened me up he found a fibroid the size of a baseball sitting on top of my uterus. he did not remove it because there was a risk of vascular problems and too much bleeding as my uterus contracted. also, removal would weaken that area of my uterus and i would be at a much higher risk of uterine rupture during labor for the next kiddo. so unless it starts causing me problems (i'm thinking that's unlikely as i didn't even know it was there until now) then it stays in until we are 100% sure we are done having children. and here brian and i thought it was hannah's bottom the whole time.

the fibroid shouldn't really cause any problems anyway, he said - i might have more cramping and heavier flow when i have my period. big deal. i've had that all my life. the only "problem" it is currently causing is these abdominal cramps. fibroids are apparently very sensitive to estrogen, so it was hanging out and getting fat and happy while i was pregnant and making estrogen like there was no tomorrow. once hannah was born, my estrogen production dropped like a mob man with cement shoes. as a result the fibroid is probably shrinking and causing my cramps.

the urinary tract infection is lots of fun because i can't feel anything down there. i've heard this is not uncommon after vaginal births. granted, i didn't have one, but since i pushed for almost 3 hours i get to claim vaginal birth aftereffects. i don't feel that pressure and urgency when i need to go, so i have to keep reminding myself to head to the bathroom every couple hours. but! not to worry! i can still feel that resistance to go, and the burning. yay! i was put on keflex for the uti, which should be an interesting experience as i've never taken it. usually i get cipro instead, because i'm allergic to the sulfa drugs that are commonly used to treat uti's. however, cipro does turn up in breastmilk and can cause problems for baby so keflex it is.

the printout of my "active medications" includes my prenatal vitamin (huh?) and is a bit horrifying to me:
- prenatal vitamin once a day
- motrin every 8 hours
- norco every 4 hours
- keflex twice a day
- stool softener twice a day
- nor-q-d (minipill birth control) once a day

i feel like my grandparents, with 86 pills spread before me at the breakfast table.

3 comments:

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

Crohn's disease comes with medication cocktails from time to time, so I know what you mean. It can feel horrifying, but at the same time? Look, this is what your body needs right now. There is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and making certain that your body won't need more medications because various problems persisted and became worse down the road. Things will settle down eventually =)

As for the UTI: cranberry juice. I never had one until the pregnancy, but if I've learned anything it's that they can recur very easily after the course of meds are finished (I had the same problem with allergies too - lucky us!) Drinking cranberry juice regularly through the UTI and for even a week after the meds are done makes a world of difference. Although, seriously, it gave me a series of sugar headaches, but oh my goodness, no more infection is worth it.

I hope that Hannah's weight is turning around and that you're overall recovering well!

(P.S. I totally dug out my ancient Google ID just so I could comment here, so you should feel VEYR special!)

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com
http://www.becomingsarah.com

Jaimey said...

Be careful taking the antibiotic for UTI your system is especially weak right now and you yeast could freak out and take over. I recommend lots of probiotics. (orally or... :) Its fine and safe for baby and you and BFing. I took probiotics most of my 16 months of BFing and my dr said it was great.

Also, no need to try to be a hero, if you are in pain take the meds! I took tons of meds in labor and then my vicodin for only 4 days after my Csection, none after Jonathan. Only IB's 800 for a day or so. Everyone is different. :)

Kelly said...

Don't feel bad about needing pain meds!!
You are a brand new mommy, and the last thing you need to worry about is pain.
I didn't even have a C-section, and I took tylenol with codiene for the cramps for at least 2 weeks.

Also-I second the cranberry juice tip. You can buy the unsweetened one(at your local Trader Joes) to avoid drinking too much sugar. But make sure you cut it with some water I like a 1:4 cran to water ratio. Cranberry helps flush out any bacteria hanging out down there.

My "are you freaking kidding me" moment after Lorylei was born was mastitis. Which was a huge, red, painful bump the size of a tennis ball, on my already overly ginormous boob. I almost gave up breastfeeding because of it.

Hang in there!! It gets easier!