Monday, March 9, 2009

maternity photos

man that sounds awful. maybe it is just that word, maternity. it makes everything sound awful. maternity leave sounds like when you sent away an unwed mother in the 1950s so no one knew she was pregnant. maternity jeans sound horrendous but i love mine, they are so comfy and imho actually rather cute. likewise, maternity photos sounds so fuggy and blech but i really like how ours turned out. it helped that i was having a good hair and makeup day and my husband is just naturally devastatingly handsome.


i was a little nervous at first showing so much skin. our photographer was a man also, maybe it would have helped if it were a woman. (i would have loved my friend joanna to have done them but she is two hours away.) it was the first time i had shown that much skin for someone whom i was not in love with and it is a bit unnerving to deliberately remove your clothes and be willingly photographed in basically your underwear. i'm not in love with showing off my body to begin with and here i was paying someone to take pictures of it.


fortunately my husband was amazing as usual. often in the crush of daily life i forget what a truly fabulous man this is that i was lucky enough to marry. more than the photographer (or his wife who was also his assistant), he really put me at ease. i mean, here is some strange man who is pulling open my shirt and arranging my hands or brian's hands on my stomach and in doing so he has to sometimes brush my skin and it is just plain weird. but brian completely relaxed me and made me laugh and really made the whole thing fun.


even better was that we were doing it together, so even though there were two other completely random people in the room, it still felt very intimate between us. at least it did to me. and the best part is, i know brian was doing it all for me, which speaks volumes to me about how great he is. these belly photos were all my idea and i really pushed for them. i wanted a record of our baby while she is still "just" a bump in my midsection. i want her to see these photos and know how much her mom and dad love each other and her, even before she is born. when i initially brought it up, brian was rather against the idea. he did not want to spend the money on baby pictures with no baby in them. but he gave in for me.


i think even he had a good time, and i am really glad that we did this. i love pregnant belly photos and i am so glad we have our own for our kiddo. and if i do say so myself, i think they turned out pretty damn great. our photographer is really talented and brought out the best in both of us. and it makes me happy to see these photos, because very often these days i am feeling unwieldy and ungainly and just not very attractive. not ugly or anything, just unattractive, with this huge watermelon for a waist and tired all the time, and these remind me of what i have always (previously) believed: that there is quite possibly nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman, except maybe a pregnant woman and the man who loves her.


we are at: 31 weeks.

special thanks to cesar and desserie at artpix portrait studio for taking our beautiful photos. all images are copyright to them.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

cute pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I love maternity pictures, totally agree on the name. I like to say belly shots!

Elizabeth said...

What nice photos, they will be great keepsakes. I have really ugly ones of me! With my first daughter, I was in my last year of college, and a friend of mine snapped a few photos of me in her dorm room...real charming( I was not living in the dorms by the way :) I loved the look on her fellow roommates when they saw me coming though, always a look of horror. My second daughter, I have maybe one that doesn't look too bad.
As far as word maternity, I agree. But even when my first daughter was born in 1985, everything was still pretty ugly as far as clothing. Women are much luckier these days with clothing options and beautiful photography to mark such a special time.
Sorry this comment is so long!!