Wednesday, March 25, 2009

tailbone. hurts.

especially when i get up from sitting. doc says this is completely normal. apparently kiddo is pressing on it. apparently also the bones can actually move a little bit. this is because my body is producing a hormone called relaxin which loosens up my ligaments so that my hips will open up during labor. unfortunately it also has the unpleasant side effect of loosening up all my other joints, so my back is achier than usual and those tailbone bones can move slightly.

on a positive note, i have the option of sitting on a donut pillow to help ease the ache. on a negative note, this makes it look like i have hemorrhoids, which i most emphatically do NOT as i have been diligent about eating enough fiber and drinking enough water to (thus far) successfully avoid them.

on another positive note, apparently the "effects" of relaxin go away within about 24 hours of delivery. it's produced by the placenta, so once there is no more placenta, there is no more relaxin. but as my doctor reminded me, postpartum brings its own new set of aches and pains. remind me again why women are so set on perpetuating the human race?

we are at: 33 weeks 2 days.

1 comment:

Andrea R said...

Hopefully you won't have the same fate as when I came screaming into the world... After 48 hours of labor I broke my mom's tailbone on the way out! And this was before epidurals mind you ;)